Saturday, October 6, 2007

Back to the blog...

Oh man, it's been a while. Been caught up with making wedding videos and work. I finally got a chance to sit down and do some drawing tonight. I am definitely rusty. I've been looking at a lot of Hirshfeld lately, trying to figure out the art of caricatures. I was talking to a coworker of mine yesterday about it, and he said that it's really strange how a good caricature can resemble a person more than a photograph. Sounds strange, but I know exactly he means. I think the reason for that is because very often in pictures, people are not in their 'natural state'. Everyone is always smiling or putting on a face, and it's usually not the face or expression that we associate with them. I've always found caricatures difficult because I focus too much on the physicality of someone's face, when i should really be focused on capturing their spirit. I know, sounds so lofty and esoteric, but I think it's true. Anyways, here was my attempt at a Hirschfeld-esque caricature of me and my girlfriend at the wedding I spent the last two months making a video for. Enjoy!



Here's the picture I used for the drawing: